Related Organizations with whom Baikal Watch collaborates on a constant basis to protect Lake Baikal and its massive, multi-national watershed!
Local groups (at Baikal):
- The Great Baikal Trail Association - Formed in 2002, this group works closely with the parks and nature reserves at Lake Baikal to build the first system of trails in all of Russia.
- Baikal Ecological Wave - Non-governmental group of "enthusiasts" organized to determine ways that citizens can act to protect the Lake Baikal region.
- Tahoe-Baikal Institute - Non-governmental organization that works to preserve Lake Tahoe in California and Lake Baikal in Siberia, as well as other significant and threatened natural areas around the world.
- North Baikal Warm Reception Club – An oddly-named group of activists from the northern reaches of the lake, who are behind the growth of ecotourism and nature interpretation in this more remote part of the world.
- A-B Tours – A for-profit group that is in the forefront of running true ecotours at Baikal
- The Center for Environmental Research and Education – A newer non-profit at Baikal that is helping train new groups of nature guides around the lake, while reaching out to native peoples of Siberia as they strive to protect their own rights to a clean environment.
- Mongol Ecology Center – Initiated by Earth Island Institute, this national center is now one of the leading environmental groups in Mongolia, providing much-needed expertise and other support to the new and emerging national parks in the countryside, including Lake Hovsgol National Park (located at the headwaters of the Selenga River, which ultimately empties into Baikal!).
Other international groups active in the greater Baikal region:
- The Southwest Research and Information Center
- The Lake Baikal Heritage Foundation
- Earth Corps
- US Forest Service International Programs Office
- Global Parks
- The Trust for Mutual Understanding
- Earth Island Institute’s Center for Safe Energy
For more on Baikal Watch’s parent organization, Earth Island Institute, please click here.
Baikal Watch is a project of Earth Island Institute.
2150 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
E-mail us at baikal(at)earthisland.org